I finally got around to organizing the clutter of makeup on my bathroom counter. Using Godmorgon Box from IKEA, USD $18, it helped solve my problem immediately. Ideally, I should have a drawer to keep this acrylic organizer in, but that's probably my next project.
I followed some simple tips from makeup artist friends how to organize.
- Evaluate - Throw away expired makeup. Toss the ones you haven't worn for the last 8 months. It can become a breeding ground for bacteria that could lead to skin breakouts and eye infection.
- Segregate- Categorize and group together lipstick, eye palette. Ensure those you use everyday are easily accessible.
- Wash - With a mild shampoo, wash all the brushes in lukewarm water and allow them to dry overnight.
- Clean- Clean the insides of your drawer and change the liner before placing organizer trays. You can use clear glass or beakers to hold your brushes or pencil holders, if you don't have enough space in your drawer.
- Store - Ensure they're kept in a dry and cool place.
- Maintain - I'll try my utmost to put them back where I get them from.
Personally, I find it a lot easier if I keep the storage transparent as possible. There are transparent boxes with lids available in craft shops, if you prefer stacking them up. In this way, I could easily find what I'm looking for. It saves time and stress especially on a busy morning.